Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Seeing red over green

Oh, common sense, why hast thou forsaken us?

I now know what those power-hungry, anal-retentive nerds who wanted to be the hall monitor when I was kid turned into as adults. They turned into folks like these at Midland Middle School, who sent an 11-year-old girl to in-school suspension because she, of all things, had light green streaks in her hair on, of all days, St. Patrick's Day. Apparently, this was against the RULES. Heaven forbid anyone bend the RULES on St. Patrick's Day.

You can read the Ledger-Enquirer story about the cute little green-haired troublemaker who struck fear into the hearts of former hall monitors and paranoid school officials by clicking here. Her photo should be on the Web page, as well. Wait til you see how dangerous this girl looks!

As someone who regularly broke the RULES in school and, quite frankly, still favors common sense when it trumps the RULES, I salute Taylor Hendrix. Keep dyeing your hair green until the gray-haired teachers stop dyeing their hair. And, please, please don't let a few folks lacking in common sense sap your spirit. If you're anything like I was, you just gotta smile at the silliness and roll with the punches. Don't give in to the nonsensical conformists, and you'll be a better person someday. Side with common sense, and you'll be just fine, Taylor.

Meanwhile, those same people who suspended you will be running around school going insane measuring to see if shorts are 3 inches from the knee or those are really No. 2 pencils.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I for one was completely distracted and disturbed by her highlights when I saw that photo of her. I'm glad I wasn't a student at her high school because I'm not sure that I would have been able to pass notes and not listen to my fullest potential if I had been.

Unknown said...

To the people who believe the girl at Midland Middle School was put in ISS for simply breaking the dress code rules then you are very naive and haven't been in a school for a long time. The interaction between the administration and the students is never that cold unless it is a serious infringement of the rules and puts others in danger. In most cases like this, some sort of disrespect landed the girl in ISS after she was confronted by a teacher or administrator. Oh! but I forgot an eleven or twelve year old would never lie to protect themselves or get what they want. Wake Up People! (The little angel is not innocent)
You guys will be the first to question the schools if something horrible happens at one (like a shooting). I can here the comments now, they didn't react quick enough, they could have prevented this. Well when schools enforce the rules people complain because it got their little angel in trouble, but when a tragedy happens at a school the first thing people say is that the school does not enforce the rules and that is why it happened. If someone is willing to give their life to take others there is no defense for that. I am just venting becuase people have no idea what teachers and adminstrators deal with at school everyday. Who cares if the girls got suspened, she broke the rules. If you are going 6 miles over the speed limit a policeman can ticket you it is the rules. But, we live in a society where there is no consequence for people actions so when a school deals out consequences people get in an uproar. What you people did to that school was take away its powerbase. Kids read these statements and say I can do what I please now because if I get in trouble I can notify this joke of a paper Columbus has and they will print lies about a school to sell copies to make me look good. No wonder crime rates are high and achievement down.