Friday, July 18, 2008

Droppin' in on the band

Interesting video clip here of a civilian parachutist crash landing into a military band during a ceremony at Fort Riley, Kan. My Army-employed friend Jenny Peaster pointed it out to me. A couple of people were hurt, including the skydiver. My favorite part of the video is the end, classic TV journalist stuff: "The skydiver was traveling about 50 mph before crash landing and also destroyed two tubas." That sounds like something straight out of Will Ferrell's "Anchorman."

Also, I need to say congratulations to Jenny, who has accepted a new Army job where she'll be able to help make a real difference in people's lives, something she's apparently been pretty good at in other Army-related positions.

I've mentioned Jenny in a couple of columns. When I was a dorky freshman and she was a way-too-cool-for-me sophomore cheerleader in high school, Jenny (then Jenny Jerome) sat in front of me in science class. Thank God for alphabetical seating! Of course, she would torture me by sending notes like, "So, what do freshman boys do on Friday nights?" ... knowing good and well it was to sit at home and dream about pretty cheerleaders.

You can read one of those columns by clicking here and there's a picture of me and Jenny with this post.

No comments: