Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Guitar man

In case you haven't heard, local guitar maker -- and fixer -- Mac McCormick died Tuesday after a long illness. A lot of folks in the Chattahoochee Valley and beyond play guitars made by the man.

I'm not lucky enough to own one of those guitars, but he did work his magic in repairing my old hand-me-down guitar, which still sounds as good as it did when my dad got it more than 30 years ago. Mac was one of those genuine characters, content to work in a little shop in the back of another business, a glass company the last time I saw him.

He was kind of a gruff fellow. The first time I took my guitar to him and explained the problem, he snatched it out of my hands and acted kind of irritated while he fixed it in a matter of minutes. He was so gruff that I figured it was gonna cost me a bundle and began fumbling for my wallet and checkbook and calculated my life savings in my head. When he shoved it back at me, I asked, "How much?"

"Nuthin'!"

Hey, I'll take gruff and free any day. The guy definitely marched to the beat of a different drummer ... or strummer. He lived life on his own terms, and I can appreciate that. The next time he had to take the darn thing apart and actually accepted a reasonable payment. He made good money from his custom-made guitars, though.

So, bon voyage, Mac. Next Buffett tune I strum on my guitar, I'm dedicating to you. The guitar still sounds great. Considering my talent level, that's quite a compliment.

1 comment:

Allison Kennedy said...

I met Mac only once, but of course heard many stories about him from my husband, and Don Coker and Billy Winn. So if those guys loved and respected him, I did too. Thanks for paying tribute.