Friday, June 8, 2007

On the water

About 10 years after my first kayaking trip around St. Simons Island, I finally got my very own kayak -- the Blast by Victory, an inexpensive but pretty reliable and stable kayak that tracks pretty darn well for a 9.5-footer. It's my Father's Day and birthday present rolled into one.

I bought it this morning and was on the water at Lake Oliver by 1 p.m. I'd rather paddle around someplace that's more natural with fewer homes on the water. But for purposes of testing the kayak and honing my skills, it's a great spot. It's not too big, not too choppy and there aren't too many Jet Skis zipping around, ruining the peacefulness of the lake.

I didn't mind paying the $2 launch fee at the Lake Oliver Marina, but then I was told that I had to launch it down the rocky concrete boat ramp. You're supposed to launch kayaks from grass or sandy banks so as not to scrape your boat. So I had to pay $2 for the marina to NOT accommodate my boat. If you don't want to accommodate kayaks, fine, but don't take my $2. Do one or the other. "Not my rules; it's the city's," the man at the marina said. Of course my policy on stupid rules is to not enforce them when I'm put in that kind of situation. Just ask the folks at the L-E how I feel about stupid dress codes. They have to keep putting out memos just for me.

And while I don't like paddling around so many homesites, I will say this: All the homes on the lake are well-kept and beautiful, especially the ones where the backyards leading to the lake and docks or boathouses are kept very natural. There's not a single eyesore on the lake, although there are a few ostentatious mansions that detract from the area. Then again, I'm not much for status symbols, nor do I have a pressing need to be noticed. If I could afford a million-dollar home, it would just look like home ... but with a really nice boat house/writing shack.

I'll soon be taking it down the Chattahoochee, on Lake Eufaula, down the Flint and around some bays on the coast. In the meantime, you may see my little red kayak bopping around Lake Oliver. Give me a holler if you see me.

No comments: