Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Mark Twain

I'm in the middle of Ron Powers' highly acclaimed biography of Mark Twain, who I'm glad to see was a deeply flawed individual. (It gives me hope.) I mean, I knew the dude had issues, but he almost makes me look normal and conformist. Almost. Of course, he also started his writing career as a journalist.

It's amazing how many toes he stepped on, and how that has been forgotten by the general public. If he were doing, writing and saying the same things today, he'd be skewered by right-wing zealots as a godless, anti-American, leftist wacko (as opposed to America's greatest writer). Of course, if he were doing, writing and saying the same things today, he'd be 172 years old, so maybe they'd cut him some slack. But I sure would love to hear his comments on the U.S. government, man's various religions and the education system of today.

I suspect his comments would make me look nicer than Mother Teresa.

No comments: